Google
 

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Grokking


I should probably explain the title of this blog. Grok of course is a verb invented by Robert A. Heinlein in Stranger in a Strange Land that is a combination of absorbing, understanding and, well, eating an idea or person.

To grok something is to have taken it in, tasted it, internalized it. To truly, uh, grok this concept, do read this beautiful and thoughtful book that touches on humanity, religion, politics, and thought.

What does this have to do with Unigrok? Heh, well I guess I just wanted to embellish the concept of grokking and give it an official-sounding corporate flare. As Wile E. Coyote would say, "Universal Grok, Inc .. I like the way that rolls out .."


Unigrok is also the name of an XML application server I wrote a few years ago. I'll describe that too, after I resurrect http://unigrok.com. It was/is very cool, very expressive, very compact. It may fall short of the integrated detail of later works like Ruby on Rails or TurboGears, but it felt all of one piece. And I miss it when I encounter today's web app languages.

<aside>
I suppose another interpretation would have the uni part mean not universal but one. But ugh, understanding one thing reminds me of The Hedgehog Principle, a concept put forth in a truly odious book on business,
Good to Great. Which BTW I am listing here only so you can see the comments on Amazon .. do not buy this book! And if a prospective employer is run by someone who believes in it .. run!
</aside>

1 Comments:

Blogger Whataslacker.com said...

Can't believe all the spam comments you get. Shame. So what does a trekkie mean by I GROK SPOCK? Does it mean the same thing as Heinlein's?

http://blogs.whataslacker.com/
ScifiSLacker.com

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home